Join Shelly Prosko, PT, PYT, CPI, for this PhysioYoga workshop as she explains the neuroscience of pain including roles the brain and nervous systems play in pain, and how yoga can be safely used to reduce pain, manage stress & used as a key component for injury prevention. This workshop includes a combo of theory and practice including awareness practices, movement, breathing methods, meditation and yoga philosophy using Life is Now Pain Care Yoga guidelines and valuable resources to share.Find out more »
Professional Yoga Therapist Certification: Module 8 Module 8 is an intensive on-site module that is part of the practical, applied lab portion of the Professional Yoga Therapist certification program. This course puts the lectures of Modules 1-7 into motion with application of the concepts learned in those pre-requisite distance modules. Topics covered include: Biopsychosocial (BPS) model of assessment and application Interdisciplinary 10 Precept application and case study analysis Yoga posture, breath, and meditation prescription using Medical Therapeutic Yoga (MTY) methods (including mudras)…Find out more »
REGINA, SK: Creating Core Power: The Diaphragms of Health. Join Shelly Prosko, Physical Therapist, Professional Yoga Therapist, and Pilates Instructor, for this highly sought after PhysioYoga workshop on creating optimal Core Power. We will: • Learn and experience how the diaphragms of your body all work together as a coordinated team to contribute to the core strategy system to enhance overall fitness, performance, health and wellness. • Discuss and explore the myths vs truths of ‘core stability’ from an evidence-informed…Find out more »
Creating Core Power: The 3 Diaphragm Approach to Health
Join Shelly Prosko, Physical Therapist and Professional Yoga Therapist, for this intriguing and highly sought after PhysioYoga course about 3 of the diaphragms of our human body. Be prepared to learn and experience how our pelvic, respiratory, and vocal diaphragms all work together as a coordinated team to contribute to overall health and wellness using a yogic biopsychosocial model. The 3 diaphragm approach to health optimizes our movement mechanics, breathing, speaking, balance ability, and enhances many of our bodily functions by understanding and using the core strategy system.
This course integrates a combination of lecture with a fun, inspiring and valuable yoga practice, including a variety of movements with breath, vocal sounds, awareness methods, visualization practices, and meditation. You won’t want to miss this unique workshop!
1) Define and overview the anatomy and biomechanics of 3 of the diaphragms of the human body: pelvic, respiratory and vocal diaphragms.
2) Learn the roles of the 3 diaphragms, and in particular how BREATHING influences numerous other physiological systems of our being
3) Define a healthy breath pattern
4) Discuss 3 most common and inefficient breathing pattern disorders (BPD’s) and learn how and why they can contribute to a variety of dysfunctions which can lead to physical, mental, energetic and emotional imbalances.
5) Define and discuss the 4 categories of pelvic floor health dysfunctions
6) Discuss the debate surrounding the performance of kegel exercises for pelvic floor health and rehabilitation using a best evidence approach
7) Discuss Mula Bandha (MB) including developing an understanding of the intention of MB and the differences and similarities to pelvic floor engagement
8) Outline factors that may contribute to a Non-Relaxing Pelvic Floor and health issues that may arise from over-recruitment of pelvic floor musculature
9) Explain the Chakra system, and characteristics of each chakra as it relates to pelvic, respiratory and vocal health
10) Outline the factors that influence healthy performance and functioning of each of the diaphragms, using the pancha maya kosha model or biopsychosocial-spiritual model of health
11) Learn and experience how the voice, respiratory diaphragm and pelvic floor all work together as a coordinated team through breath, vocalization and movement, to contribute to our core strategy system and a variety of other physiological systems to enhance overall health & wellness.
12) Experience yogic breathing methods (Pranayama) that may help optimize tissue oxygenation, enhance organ system function, improve energy, vitality, mental clarity, focus, postural alignment, sleep patterns, core strategies, stimulate the relaxation response of the nervous systems and optimize general overall health and wellness.
13) Discover and practice awareness of the coordination of the pelvic and respiratory diaphragmatic excursion by integrating physiotherapy exercises and yoga (mindful movement, breathing and meditation)
14) Learn and experience breathing methods and meditation techniques with a focus on awareness and relaxation of pelvic floor muscles
15) Learn and participate in activities that include components of the core strategy system that have been shown to influence pelvic floor muscle engagement and function, including hip and lumbo-pelvic strategies, through the use of physiotherapy exercises, pilates, yoga postures (asanas) and breathing methods
16) Experience and learn a chakra meditation
17) Experience and learn activities to enhance foot awareness and potential connection to the pelvic floor
18) This workshop includes a combination of theory and practice. A fun, inspiring, empowering and valuable experiential yoga and movement practice that includes yoga postures (asana) and other movement practices inspired by physiotherapy, somatics and pilates, breath practices (pranayama), vocal sounds, awareness and visualization practices and meditation is included
19) The participant will leave with a new found knowledge, understanding and experience of how the 3 diaphragms work together to contribute to our core power, health and overall well being and will have techniques to share immediately with students or clients.Find out more »