Taipei, Taiwan: PhysioYoga Weekend with Shelly Prosko
Creating Core Power: The 3 Diaphragm Approach to Health
Join Shelly Prosko, Physical Therapist and Professional Yoga Therapist, for this intriguing and highly sought after 3 day PhysioYoga course about 3 of the diaphragms of our human body. Be prepared to learn and experience how our pelvic, respiratory, and vocal diaphragms all work together as a coordinated team to contribute to overall health and wellness using a yogic biopsychosocial model. The 3 diaphragm approach to health optimizes our movement mechanics, breathing, speaking, balance ability, and enhances many of our bodily functions by understanding and using the core strategy system.
This course integrates a combination of lecture with a fun, inspiring and valuable yoga practice, including a variety of movements with breath, vocal sounds, awareness methods, visualization practices, and meditation. You won’t want to miss this unique workshop!
1) Define and overview the anatomy and biomechanics of 3 of the diaphragms of the human body: pelvic, respiratory and vocal diaphragms.
2) Learn the roles of the 3 diaphragms, and in particular how BREATHING influences numerous other physiological systems of our being
3) Define a healthy breath pattern
4) Discuss 3 most common and inefficient breathing pattern disorders (BPD’s) and learn how and why they can contribute to a variety of dysfunctions which can lead to physical, mental, energetic and emotional imbalances.
5) Define and discuss the 4 categories of pelvic floor health dysfunctions
6) Discuss the debate surrounding the performance of kegel exercises for pelvic floor health and rehabilitation using a best evidence approach
7) Discuss Mula Bandha (MB) including developing an understanding of the intention of MB and the differences and similarities to pelvic floor engagement
8) Outline factors that may contribute to a Non-Relaxing Pelvic Floor and health issues that may arise from over-recruitment of pelvic floor musculature
9) Explain the Chakra system, and characteristics of each chakra as it relates to pelvic, respiratory and vocal health
10) Outline the factors that influence healthy performance and functioning of each of the diaphragms, using the pancha maya kosha model or biopsychosocial-spiritual model of health
11) Learn and experience how the voice, respiratory diaphragm and pelvic floor all work together as a coordinated team through breath, vocalization and movement, to contribute to our core strategy system and a variety of other physiological systems to enhance overall health & wellness.
12) Experience yogic breathing methods (Pranayama) that may help optimize tissue oxygenation, enhance organ system function, improve energy, vitality, mental clarity, focus, postural alignment, sleep patterns, core strategies, stimulate the relaxation response of the nervous systems and optimize general overall health and wellness.
13) Discover and practice awareness of the coordination of the pelvic and respiratory diaphragmatic excursion by integrating physiotherapy exercises and yoga (mindful movement, breathing and meditation)
14) Learn and experience breathing methods and meditation techniques with a focus on awareness and relaxation of pelvic floor muscles
15) Learn and participate in activities that include components of the core strategy system that have been shown to influence pelvic floor muscle engagement and function, including hip and lumbo-pelvic strategies, through the use of physiotherapy exercises, pilates, yoga postures (asanas) and breathing methods
16) Experience and learn a chakra meditation
17) Experience and learn activities to enhance foot awareness and potential connection to the pelvic floor
18) This workshop includes a combination of theory and practice. A fun, inspiring, empowering and valuable experiential yoga and movement practice that includes yoga postures (asana) and other movement practices inspired by physiotherapy, somatics and pilates, breath practices (pranayama), vocal sounds, awareness and visualization practices and meditation is included
19) The participant will leave with a new found knowledge, understanding and experience of how the 3 diaphragms work together to contribute to our core power, health and overall well being and will have techniques to share immediately with students or clients.